Why Choose a Dual-Band Router?

by Ernest
Remember back in high school...(or college, or grad school depending on your age) when accessing  online video clips of your favorite TV shows and movie previews seems to load forever with your 56k Dial-up connection? Well, the instability for wireless communication today makes similar problems come back and hunt us like a blast from the past. With online conferencing, video clips and instant file-sharing now in high demand, dual-band routers may just be the right answer to keep you from recalling the stone age era. 


Looks Familiar?
Distinctive Internet Tasks
One of the most important advantages a dual-router brings to the table is its capability to separate high bandwidth task from routine ones. For instance, one of my pet-peeves is extending external desktop to another monitor so I can multitask. And when I mean multitask I mean: Streaming a HD movie on one monitor and checking my e-mail or surfing the web on the other.  In the above example, a 2.4GHz band can handle both web surfing and e-mail while the HD movie can be streamed uninterruptedly on a 5Ghz band.

Efficient File Sharing
Technically speaking, 5Ghz band is just more efficient when dealing with sharing files and streaming videos within a network. While most single-band routers remain at a lower costs, they do not offer the 5Ghz band and therefore facilitates lower throughput compare to dual-band (2.4 and 5Ghz) routers.

Prevent Signal Interference from other Wireless Devices
Last month I convinced myself to installed a pretty fast ADSL connection at home due to my high demand of online coding(ok...I mean gaming) and file sharing. If you are a gadget dork like me, you shouldn't be surprised by what I immediately did after the ADSL connection was established: 1) Set up a Wireless Connection, 2) Enable my Printer's WPS Connection, and 3) Test my Wireless Speed before I initiate any downloads/uploads.  Unfortunately, due to the high volume of multiple wireless signals at my neighborhood (like 20 SSIDs), my wireless speed dropped a ridiculous 70% compared to my wired connection.

This problem allowed me to test the efficiency of a dual-band router, hoping that the 5Ghz band will have less overlapping channels than the 2.4 Ghz band. Of course, one important condition is to remember to connect your devices through the 5Ghz band, something I completely forgot while testing for the signal strength the first time.

After testing the router for several hours, I came to the conclusion that dual-band routers may just be the solution Wireless LAN Industry need in order to break new market boundaries. Not only did the wireless connection run smoothly, it was almost as efficient as my wired connection! Concerns over wireless instability and unreliable security may very well be perfected with stronger, faster and efficient wireless    throughput delivery, bringing new business opportunities and smarter way-of-living over the next half-century.

4ipnet's EAP320 Dual-Band Access Point
Embedded with 802.11n/a/b/g dual-band MIMO radio in IP50 dust-proof metal housing, the high speed (up to 300Mbps) and durable EAP320 Access Point is designed for wireless connectivity in various environments of all dimensions including: multimedia streaming and file sharing.

留言

這個網誌中的熱門文章

Product Review: 4ipnet Product for Wireless Network

Enjoy Shopping and Reliable Wi-Fi at Portal de la Marina

4ipnet WISP Solution